Monday, September 19, 2011

Savor the Flavor

A wise friend once told me to remember things as they were at that moment in time as things were sure to change before long.  This friend is officially a family member on paper, but will always remain my "best friend" in my heart.  He was referring to relationships between siblings and significant others at the time, but as I mature I realize that his simple comment applies to all relationships and situations in life.

My mother raised us in a spontaneous house.  My father was absent for the majority of our childhood.  Those two facts were ingrained into us as children.  Mom was quick to make any situation fun, and Dad was someone not to count on calling, showing up, or generally supporting much at all.  Don't get me wrong.  Mom's spontaneity did not make her "the fun parent," nor did Dad's absence make him "the bad parent."  They both had their pros and cons, and were dramatically different in so many ways.

I find myself now frustrated with the role that step-parents have filled for our parents, and how it changed the people we knew as Mom and Dad.  Mom's spontaneous nature is still there, but is often tempered with, "Well, I would, but Step-father doesn't want to."  Dad's absence seems to be less now by his own desire, and more so with Step-mother's lack of desire for contact and interaction.

It's been a very confusing life this way.  After two decades of "training," it can be very hard to re-learn your parents and their "new" ways.  I have personally resorted to a withdrawal of contact and affection with my parents.  I know this is probably not the best thing for any of us, but I've found it to be less painful.  It's easier not to plan last minute events and trips with Mother, only to be disappointed with the "plan's" disapproval by Step-father.  It's also easier to speak minimally by phone with Father than to visit, only to be put-off by Step-mother's attitude and comments.

Very often I feel like when one family didn't "work out," then our respective parents sought comfort in "new families."  The feeling left behind with the children (even as adults) is one of discarded love.  I know this is not true.  I know my parents still love us all, there is no doubt in my mind on that fact.  Facts and feelings are so very different, however, and both are very difficult to "train."

The facts are ugly, and the feelings even uglier.  There's the facts that are "safe."  Those that are allowed to be shared with extended family, and those that are dark secrets in the closet of life's house.  Surrounding all facts are the deep emotions tied to it all, ranging from pure joy to utter despair.

I am currently reading a fictional book that was working on fully gaining my attention.  Then there was a line that stopped me on the page like a hammer to my brain.  "We need parents when we're old too."  I'm too long from school to remember citation rules, so I'll do my best.  This line came from Michael Ondaatje's "Anil's Ghost."  The writer is a favorite of mine since high school when "The English Patient" hit the screen.  His writing is poetic and dream-like to me, and each time I allow myself to become entangled in his novels I find myself the better for the time spent.

What I thought would be a "time killing" read since it was the only book to be found following our move has become something that I yearn to spend more time with.  What a profound and yet simple sentence.  It reminded me of the day that my friend asked me to take it all in before it all went away.

And it did go away.  There were break-ups, moves, marriages, births, deaths, fights, hugs, cries...a little bit of everything that life throws at us all in our day-to-day journeys.  I will always remember the time that I considered to be so happy in my early adulthood with a bittersweet taste.  It was the first time that I realized that family is what you make of it.

I write with the collaboration of my dear sister and grandmother.  I welcome comments, suggestions for new topics, questions...whatever comes to mind.  This is a labor of love for me as I do my best to "get it all out."  I feel that it's a sometimes messy and tedious process, but I shall return again.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    Here's hoping that writing is as helpful to you as it has been to me. The longer I am a parent, the more reality sets in that, no, I am not perfect and have made some major blunders. Then, I take some small level of comfort in looking around my world and seeing that no one else has made it through the parenting role with a perfect score. I just hope others will give me the grace to learn and grow in the role of being a parent or the any of the other roles I am expected to fill. And in turn, I purpose to allow those around me to make mistakes (some bring hurt) and learn from them, as we all are in this together.

    Your Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my new therapy for sure! I was thinking just the other day that I've never seen nor do I ever expect to see a headstone inscribed with "Perfect." Sometime shortly after becoming a parent I found myself less intimidated with the world around me with my new "Super Mom" cape to protect me from the "bad guys." There's a quality I've loved about parenting that I think is hard to describe to those without the blessing. My new "judge and jury" are two little men with beautiful blue eyes and simple hearts. They love without question, and they make me a better person every single day. Seeing yourself through the eyes of a small child is much more clear a reflection than any mirror can provide. Let's keep making mistakes together as a family! It's but one way to teach the children that we all are flawed, and it's really about how we carry on after all of our decisions that defines us for future generations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, memoirs are hard to write, especially about one's family. I think the reason I enjoy teaching memoir writing is seeing the "epiphanies" or new ways of looking at our family members and why they are the way they are. At times all the students in class need a tissue. One of my quotes on the first lesson plan is, 'Writing your memoirs changes your life."
    nana

    ReplyDelete