Wednesday, June 22, 2011

An Introduction

As the eldest of three children, I learned at a very early age the responsibility that comes with being in this position in your family.  To add to this responsibility, my parents split when I was seven.  My younger sister was 6, and our youngest brother (at the time) was 4.  Recently, many different events have brought back memories and stories from childhood.  Some are happy times, but unfortunately many are not.  It's a sad fact when your most prominent memories of your "childhood" seem to blur out the times that were more enjoyable.

I know I had good times as a child.  I know this from my own memory, from stories shared by others, and from family pictures.  The hard part, it seems, is remembering the good before the bad.  As a young mother of two children, I along with my husband are doing our best to fill our children's memories with as many "good" times as possible.  We view every day as another opportunity to "right the wrongs" of our parents.

I don't intend for this blog to be a "parent bashing fest."  One of the things that bothers me most about many talk shows over the last 20 years has been the pattern of broken adults blaming their broken parents for their adult problems.  As an adult still struggling to find my way every day, I hope to share my experiences through this blog in a helpful manner.  I know I can't be the only young woman that is still growing up every day, even after 30.  I know I can't be the only young woman still struggling with parenting her parents.

Feel free to join me in this adventure.  After years of discussing writing a book with family members, this outlet seems to fit better with our modern lifestyle.  Comments are welcomed and encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment